Groovy Beauty Hacks Using Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Our favourite beauty tips using Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Top Tips for Your Hair ...
- Before hitting the beach or poolside this summer, lightly coat your hair with coconut oil to protect it from the sun and chlorine, it provides a barrier so that your hair absorbs a minimal amount of chemicals and salt. Plus, it leaves your locks silky smooth, instead of that dreaded crunchiness.
- To tame flyaway hair - rub a small amount between your fingers to warm it up and apply to a few flyaways on your roots to smooth hair into place. You can also use it on your ends too from about mid-shaft down for controlling split ends and frizz.
- Coconut oil is a creamy solid at room temperature and turns into clear liquid when it’s heated to above 34°C. Gently melt a tablespoon of coconut oil and slather on to hair after shampooing. Leave for at least five minutes before rinsing. It adds the most amazing moisture and shine back into locks. Glow, Glow, Glow.
- For a hydrating deep conditioner -soak your strands in coconut oil and wrap up into a high bun before going to sleep to reveal soft, shiny strands in the morning. (Tip: to avoid getting oil on your pillow case – cover with a towel.
Top Tips For your make-up...
- We’ve been told by industry experts that the key to great makeup is a flawless base, coconut oil is perfect for this application as it has hydrating, essential fatty acids that deeply absorb into your skin to keep it glowing all day long.
- It can also be used as a highlighter, simple mix it in with your existing liquid foundation to give your skin a glow-y boost. Or, dab a small amount directly onto your cheekbones and cupid’s bow for illumination in all the right places
- To remove makeup, there is nothing better than this natural wonder, simply massage a dollop of warmed, liquified coconut oil straight onto your skin and use a damp cotton pad to gently wipe it away.
- As a teeth whitener; swish around a few teaspoons of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes (a.k.a. oil pulling) to remove toxins from your teeth and gums and reveal brighter looking teeth. Just make sure you rinse it out and never swallow!
Top Groovy Tip: Scoop some oil into a spare contact lens container that you can throw in your bag, to easily dab it onto your lips throughout the day. Also if your lipstick is down to a nub, you can also scoop out the remaining colour from the tube and combine it with oil to make your own gloss.
Top Tips for you skin ....
- Use as a bath oil for the most hydrating soak, simply add a big dollop of virgin coconut oil to your running bath. Try using in a body scrub, mix a big scoop of organic coconut sugar with an equal amount of melted coconut oil — plus, a few drops of lavender oil for a calming effect. Massage on the scrub in the shower with warm water to smooth out dry patches.
- To use as an exfoliator, mix three tablespoons of coconut oil and two tablespoons of sugar in a jar for a DIY exfoliator that'll leave your skin glowing.
- Cuticle cream. Applying coconut oil directly onto your cuticles helps soften them and strengthens your nails
- The creamy texture of coconut oil makes it the perfect light moisturiser to apply all over your skin.
- Shaving balm – the best out there! Slather on your legs, and you'll notice that your skin will feel incredibly smooth after you shave!
- Face mask. Mix equal parts coconut oil and raw honey, and apply it directly onto your face. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse with warm water. Your skin will be glowing and super smooth
- Sunburn soother. Rubbing coconut oil directly onto a sunburn soothes it and helps to heal it at the same time.
- Natural lip balm. It helps heal dry, chapped lips in no time!