For the burger:
2-3 tbsp The Groovy Food Company organic coconut oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cooked vacuum-packed beetroots, grated (in natural juices, not vinegar)
2 tbsp The Groovy Food Company organic coconut flour
50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
125g feta, crumbled into chunks
For the slaw:
2 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Light Amber & mild organic agave nectar
zest and juice 1 ½ lime
½ small red cabbage, very finely sliced
1 small ripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely sliced
small bunch coriander, finely chopped
6 burger buns
1. Heat the 1 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan, add the the onion and cook, stirring for 5 mins until softened, then add the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Stir in the paprika and tomato puree and cook for 2 mins, then set aside.
3. Tip the black beans into a bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until well crushed. Add the onion and garlic mixture, grated beetroot, coconut flour, breadcrumbs, beaten egg and plenty of seasoning, then mix well.
4. Gently stir in the chunks of feta. Using damp hands form into 6 patties and place on a foil-lined tray. Chill for at least 30 mins to firm up.
5. Meanwhile to make the slaw, combine the agave nectar, lime zest and juice in a bowl, then stir through the cabbage, mango, spring onions, coriander and seasoning.
6. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Once the burgers have finished chilling. Heat 1-2 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers for 2-3 mins each side, turning carefully, you may need to do this in batches.
7. Transfer to a foil-lined tray and bake for 20 mins until cooked through, popping the buns in the oven to warm though for the last few mins. Leave the burgers to cool a little.
8. When ready to serve, mash the avocado with remaining half lime juice, and spread over the bases of the buns. Top with the patties, lettuce leaves and slaw, then pop on the lids and enjoy!