Blackberry Vanilla Cake with Coconut Lemon Drizzle
You have to try this delicious Blackberry and Vanilla Cake with Coconut Lemon drizzle by The Zesty Lime. Bursting with flavour, this dairy and grain free cake is suitable for everyone.
Ingredients for the cake:
1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
1 cup The Groovy Food Company coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tbsp cold water)
1 cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
3 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup The Groovy Food Company coconut oil (melted)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (+ 1/2 cup)
Ingredients for the topping:
1/2 cup of coconut condensed milk
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Make a flax egg by combining 1 tbsp milled flaxseed and 2 tbsp cold water in a small bowl. Stir together and let sit to thicken up.
3. Sift flour into a large bowl, then add rest of dry ingredients- coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir together well.
4. Make a crater in the middle of the dry ingredients and whisk in the flax egg, non-dairy milk, vanilla, melted coconut oil, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar
5. Lightly grease a 7-9 inch pan (round or square, depending on which shape you prefer) with coconut oil and pour the cake batter in.
6. Sprinkle the 2 cups blackberries into the batter, pushing some underneath so they will be baked through the cake and not just on the top. Save the 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top part way through baking if the batter rises to cover all the blackberries.
7. Bake (1 hr 25 mins) on the middle rack of the oven. If using a spring form pan, place a baking tray underneath as it may leak. After approx. 55-60 mins check the cake, since baking times may vary depending on your oven and exact size of pan. Check every 10-15 mins until cake is fully baked. Remove cake from oven and cool for at least 30 mins.
8. For the topping combine the coconut condensed milk with the fresh lemon juice and combine. Set aside whilst cake cools. Then serve with lemon drizzle and fresh blackberries.