Isaac Carew's Banana Cream Pie
Inspired by one of Isaac’s favourite childhood desserts, the crunchy base and smooth creamy topping make the perfect pudding.
For the base
300g (approx.) 2 packets Golden Oreos
70g The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut oil
1 Tsp cinnamon
For the filling
230g dates, pitted
150g The Groovy Food Company Virgin Coconut oil
150g The Groovy Food Company Coconut Sugar
1 vanilla pod ‘Seeds only’
3 bananas, sliced
For the topping
1 banana, sliced
400ml Full fat coconut milk, chilled
1 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Light Agave Nectar
A handful of Dark chocolate shavings to decorate
1. Line a 20cm pie dish with greaseproof paper.
2. For the base, tip the Oreos, coconut oil and cinnamon into a blender and pulse until the mixture becomes a dough-like consistency.
3. Pour the mixture into the lined pie dish, pressing down firmly into the corners. Pop the dish in the fridge to set for approximately 30 minutes.
4. While the base is chilling, add coconut oil, sugar, vanilla pod seeds and pitted dates to a non-stick pan and bring to the boil for 1 minute, before blitzing in a blender until smooth.
5. Slice three bananas, remove the set base from the fridge and layer the bananas into the base, keeping a few spare to decorate.
6. Pour the filling mixture over the sliced bananas and base and replace in the fridge to set for a further 45 minutes.
7. To create the tasty topping, add 1 tbsp agave nectar to your 400ml of coconut milk and whip until light and fluffy. (if using from a tin, discard the water from the top)
8. Remove the pie from the fridge and add the topping over the filling. Decorate with the remaining banana slices and a few shavings of dark chocolate. Serve immediatley.