Pan-fried Celeriac and Spiced Kale Couscous
Nutty slices of celeriac with a deliciously spiced harissa coating and a bed of Moroccan-spiced vegetable couscous. Yum!
oil for frying
100g wholemeal couscous
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp dried dill
salt and pepper
1 red onion
20g pine nuts
1 tsp veg stock powder
100ml white wine
1 garlic clove
100g curly kale
1 tbsp harissa paste
1 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Organic Date Syrup
1. Boil a kettle. Scrub the celeriac. Chop off ⅓ (save that for another meal). Peel the rest. Halve it, then slice into 1½-2cm thick even pieces, so they cook in time.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Fry the celeriac on a medium heat for approx. 4 mins on each side, until golden.
3. Meanwhile, put the couscous, smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, dried dill, 1 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt in a heatproof bowl. Cover with 1cm of boiled water. Cover with a plate and set aside.
4. Peel and finely slice the onion. In a medium saucepan, gently toast the pine nuts for 2-3 mins, until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the same saucepan. Start frying the onion, stirring to avoid catching.
5. Once the celeriac is golden, sprinkle over the veg stock powder and pour in the wine. Let it bubble and reduce by ½. Add 200ml of boiled water. Gently simmer on a low heat for 12 mins, turning halfway, until tender. Add a splash more water if needed.
6. Peel and chop the garlic. Strip the kale leaves from their tough stalks. Chop the leaves. Peel the carrot, then peel off long ribbons, rotating as you go, until you can peel no more.
7. Add the kale and garlic to the onion with a drizzle of more oil. Turn the heat up. Stir-fry for 3 mins, until the kale is starting to wilt. Add the carrot ribbons and cook. Cook for 1 min, then stir the veg into the couscous. Season and add lemon juice to taste.
8. Remove the celeriac pan from the heat and transfer it to a plate. Next stir the harissa, date syrup and 3 tbsp of water into the frying pan. Stir, to make a thick sauce. Turn the celeriac in the sauce, then serve it with the veg couscous, sprinkled with pine nuts.