Balinese Shredded Chicken (Ayam Pelalah)
If you like food that is spicy and bursting with flavour, you will love this traditional Balinese dish.
400g chicken breast, chopped into chunks/strips
2 bay leaves
3 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
Juice from 3 limes
1 x mini-gem or Chinese lettuce
2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and chopped
6 red chillies, deseeded and sliced – use mild
10 shallots, sliced
5 garlic cloves, chopped
½ teaspoon toasted shrimp paste
5 tablespoons The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Oil Infused with Turmeric
4-6 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Sugar
1. Preheat the oven 180C/160C/gas 4.
2. Using a pestle and mortar, combine chilies, lemongrass, shallots, shrimp paste, garlic and grind to a smooth paste and add the turmeric infused coconut oil
3. Add in the spice paste mix, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves, lime juice to a wok and stir-fry until fragrant. Season with salt and add enough coconut sugar to taste. Stir and let it bubble for 3-4 mins. Remove from the heat and transfer into a bowl, set aside.
4. Marinade the chicken in ¾ of the infused oil and set aside for 30 minutes – or in fridge overnight – before cooking in the oven for 40 minutes or a BBQ grill until browned
5. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and let cool. Discard the skin, shred the meat into thin strips. Take a spoonful of the remaining spice paste, combine with the chicken meat with the spice paste, toss well until the chicken is perfectly coated with the spice paste. Add another spoon of the spice paste if not well coated. Serve the remaining spice paste as a side or as sambal.
6. Serve with coconut rice and a salad of little gem lettuce, sliced cucumber, radishes, shallots, chilli and wedges of lime.