Minced Chicken Curry
This delectable Thai minced chicken ball curry, with a zingy flavour is a firm family favourite. It can be made the night before. The flavours of the sauce will infuse into the chicken balls. You can also serve this Thai curry with a green salad instead of the cauliflower rice. If you want to add a little extra heat you can have chilli oil on the side.
530g chicken, minced
2 tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic virgin coconut oil
2 Enchalion shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large handful coriander, chopped
6 tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic coconut flour
1 egg, large, beaten
200g baby corn, cut into half, lengthways
125g tenderstem broccoli
125g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
200g button mushrooms, cut in half
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1.5cm cubes
300ml chicken stock
200-300ml coconut milk (canned)
2 kaffir lime leaves, dried or freshS
For the curry paste:
1-2 tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic virgin coconut oil
4 Enchalion shallots
4 chillies (approx.60g), de-seeded
½ cumin seeds, roasted
1 tsp. coriander seeds, roasted
2 garlic cloves
2 lemon grass stalks, cut into small cubes
3 kaffir lime leaves or zest 1 lime
2 large handfuls of coriander
3 tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic coconut sugar
400ml coconut milk (canned)
- In a food processor add all the ingredients for the curry paste; coconut oil, shallots, chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic cloves, lemon grass stalks, kaffir lime or zest of lime, coriander, coconut sugar, 1-2 tbsp. coconut oil and sea salt. Process to a smooth paste, adding extra coconut oil if required.
- In a medium size saucepan, add the paste and gently heat, continuously stirring. Then add 400ml coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer on a very low light for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make the chicken balls, in a non-stick frying pan add 1 tbsp. coconut oil, sauté the finely chopped shallots until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and season with sea salt and white pepper, continue to cook for 2 minutes. Then place in a mixing bowl to cool. Once cooled add the chicken mince and mix thoroughly into the shallots and season with sea salt and white pepper. Add the egg, coriander and coconut flour and mix well until the mixture firms up. Divide the mixture into 12 balls and place on two plates.
- Seal the minced chicken balls in a large non-stick frying pan until golden on all sides.
- In a large casserole dish (29cm), add 1 tbsp. coconut oil and sauté the shiitake and button mushrooms for 30 seconds. Add the cubed butternut squash and baby corn together with the chicken stock and cook for 10 minutes on a medium/high heat. Place a sieve over the casserole dish and strain through the curry paste and discard the pulp then mix thoroughly.
- Add the minced chicken balls, pour over 200ml of coconut milk and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes, then add the tenderstem broccoli and cook for another 10 minutes. You might want to add a little extra coconut milk at this point.
- Serve with rice or cauliflower rice - enjoy!