Coconut Chicken Schnitzel with Chopped Salad and Tahini Dressing
Baking not frying these schnitzels is a healthier way of eating this popular dish. Lisa Roukin (the creator of this recipes, from My Relationship with Food) says 'I love this dish served with the salad on the side, but you can serve it with your family favourite sides, like baked sweet potato chips or a side of sautéed mushrooms and onions Adding tahini to the salad is a wonderful way of adding extra vitamins and minerals to your meal, it’s full of vitamin E and B1m B2, B3, B5 and B15 as well as magnesium, potassium and iron. The chicken schnitzels also taste great served cold.'
500g chicken breast
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp. honey mustard
50g coconut flour (I recommend The Groovy Food Company)
125g ground almond
For the garnish:
1 cucumber, deseeded and chopped
4 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
¼ red onion, chopped
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
handful coriander, chopped
For the dressing:
4 tbsp. tahini
4 tbsp. water
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp. agave nectar, light and mild (I recommend The Groovy Food Company)
handful coriander or parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- If your chicken breast is thick, slice them in half; length ways and then using a rolling pin or palm of your hand bash your chicken to flatten them out slightly.
- Beat the eggs and season with sea salt, white pepper, garlic granules and honey mustard.
- Dip the chicken breast in the coconut flour and coat it all over, then dip in the egg mixture followed by the ground almond and place on a tray pre-lined baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the chicken fillets. If you have any extra ground almond, sprinkle it on top of the schnitzels.
- Place the chicken in the oven for 30 minutes, turning them over after 15 minutes.
- To make the salad, half and then quarter down the length of the cucumber and deseed, then cut each quarter into 3 strips down the length and chop into small pieces.
- Quarter the tomato into petals, deseed and chop into small pieces.
- Finely chop the red onion and add to the chopped tomato to the cucumber.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper together with the olive oil and mix well.
- For the tahini dressing, mix together the tahini, water, olive oil and lemon juice until smooth.
- Add in the sea salt, garlic, agave nectar and coriander and mix together.
- To serve, place the chicken on a plate with the chopped salad next to it and drizzle the tahini over the salad.