Italian Chicken Salad with High Five Sweet and Spicy Dressing
This colourful Mediterranean style salad is bursting with fresh, summery flavours. Roasting the peppers creates a wonderful sweetness which melds beautifully with the saltiness of the capers and olives and the tangy, sweet dressing using Groovy Food’s High Five Oil. An exquisite combination and so healthy too. By using Groovy Food’s High Five oil in the dressing you not only pack in the flavour but increase your intake of healthy fats too. For a vegetarian option replace the chicken with sliced mozzarella or salty feta.
2 skinless chicken breasts, about 125g each
500ml / 18floz fresh chicken stock
2 red peppers, deseeded and halved
1 orange pepper, deseeded and halved
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and halved
280g / 10oz mixed yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ small red onion, finely chopped
6 sun blush tomatoes (packed in olive oil) drained and finely chopped
1tbsp capers, rinsed
60g / 2oz pitted black olives
handful of shredded basil leaves
250g / 9oz rocket leaves
1tbsp sherry vinegar
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
6tbsp The Groovy Food Company High Five Oil, plus additional for drizzling
½ - 1tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
2tsp The Groovy Food Company Agave Nectar Light Amber and Mild
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
pinch of dried crushed red chillies
- Make the dressing by simply whisking all the ingredients together. Season to taste.
- Place the chicken stock in a saucepan with the chicken breasts. Bring to the boil then simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover and leave for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken onto a board and leave to cool slightly. Shred the meat with a fork. Drizzle over a little of the dressing while the chicken is still warm and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Place the peppers skin side up on a baking sheet and grill until the skin is blackened. Transfer to a bowl, cover and leave to cool. Peel off the skins and slice lengthways.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in a baking tray, drizzle over a little High Five oil and season with salt and black pepper. Place under the grill for 3-5 minutes until they just softened.
- Place the chicken, peppers, onion, tomatoes, capers, olives and basil in a bowl and pour a little of the dressing over the salad. Lightly mix together. Place the rocket on a large platter and spoon the chicken salad on top. Serve alongside with the additional dressing if wished.