Homemade Date Sweetened BBQ Sauce
This simple Homemade Date-Sweetened Barbecue Sauce recipe is thick, tangy, smoky, and naturally sweetened with our Organic Date Syrup - the perfect sticky-sweet addition to all your summer feasts. (Delicious paired with a pulled pork bun!)
1/2 a small onion
1 large clove of garlic
1/2 tbs olive oil
150ml of The Groovy Food Company Organic Date Syrup
235ml apple cider vinegar
1 tbs tomato puree
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs dijon mustard
1/2 tsp of salt & pepper
1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like your BBQ sauce spicy!
- Put a small pot on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic, then add them to the pot with the olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly browned.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot, stir to combine, then increase heat to high. As soon as the pot is bubbling, turn off the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes, or until cool enough to safely pour into the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Blend on high until sauce is completely smooth.
- Transfer the pureed sauce to a jar or container with a lid and let cool completely before using.
- This delicious BBQ Sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.