Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
This is the finest Roasted Red Pepper Hummus you will taste this side of the med!
2 whole red bell peppers
The Groovy Food Company Omega High Five Oil
1 can chickpeas
Juice of 1 lemon
60 ml tahini
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt to taste
1. Preheat grill and remove core of peppers then cut into large flat pieces.
2. Cover peppers in a splash of High Five Oil and arrange skin-side up, on a baking sheet. Grill for 5 to 10 minutes until the peppers skin has charred.
3. Add peppers to a resealable plastic bag, seal then wait 10 to 15 minutes until cool enough to handle. Gently peel away the charred pepper skin and discard.
4. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute to whip the tahini and make it smooth and creamy.
5. Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for a minute or so
6. Add the drained chickpeas and process until smooth.
7. Followed by the roasted peppers and continue to process for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
8. If the hummus is too thick or still has tiny bits of chickpea, with the food processor turned on, slowly add 1 to 3 tablespoons of water until you are happy with the consistency.
9. Season as needed. Store homemade hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate up to one week.