Chocolate & Date Syrup Tart
This decadent chocolate and date tart is a one to serve your dinner guests.
flour, for rolling
320g shortcrust pastry sheet (we used Jus-Rol, which is vegan)
150g The Groovy Food Company Organic Date Syrup
400ml coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g dairy-free dark chocolate, finely chopped
3 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
1 tbsp cocoa powder
½ tbsp icing sugar
1. Lay out the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface, mix the cocoa powder and icing sugar together. Use a sieve to sprinkle all over the pastry sheet, then fold in half like a book and chill for 15 mins.
2. Remove from fridge, roll the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, to line a 20cm tart tin, leaving any overhanging of pastry – you'll trim this away once the tart is baked.
3. Chill for a further 30 mins on a baking tray. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
4. Remove from fridge and line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15-20 mins, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 15 mins, until cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave the case to cool in its tin, then trim the sides.
5. whilstthe pastry is cooling, make the date caramel by warming the coconut milk until steaming, then add in 200ml of the date syrup with the vanilla extra and a big pinch of flaky salt. Mix until fully combined and cool to firm up. then gently spread on the base of the tart andplace in the fridge for 30 mins to set.
6. To make the ganache topping, heat the remaining coconut milk over a low heat until steaming. Put the chocolate and coconut oil in a large bowl and pour the warm coconut milk over the top. Leave to sit for a minute, then gently stir until well combined. Allow to cool slightly to firm up and then spoon the mixture over the caramel, gently spreading it out – don’t worry if the caramel comes up the sides a bit. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and leave to set in the fridge for about an hour, then bring to room temperature before slicing and serving.