Grain Free Pumpkin Cake with Cashew Butter Cream
This superfood cake is packed with great nutritional and wholesome ingredients and is perfect for guilt free indulgence! This nutritionally packed plant-based cake is a delicious way to help get your 5 a day! It’s a great seasonal cake for any thanksgiving or Halloween celebrations. Keeps fresh for 4-5 days.
8 Large Eggs
1 Large Carrot (peeled and grated)
200g Canned Pumpkin Puree (you can freeze half the can for next time)
200g The Groovy Food Company organic coconut sugar
40g The Groovy Food Company organic coconut flour
50g Pecans, Roughly Chopped
70g Raisins or Sultanas
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste or 1 Vanilla Pod (Extract the Vanilla Seeds from the Pod)
¼ tsp. Sea Salt
For the Cashew Butter Cream:
400g Raw Cashews (Soaked in Water for 6-8 Hours)
120g The Groovy Food Company organic virgin coonut oil, melted
120g The Groovy Food Company organic agave nectar, light amber & mild
4. tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Vanilla Pod (Extract the Vanilla Seeds from the Pod)
¼ tsp. Sea Salt
30g Desiccated Coconut, Toasted
30g Pumpkin Seeds, Toasted
- Place the cashew nuts in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 6-8 hours (preferably best to do this overnight). Then rinse off the cashews through a sieve and leave to dry on kitchen paper, or a clean tea towel.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, gas mark 5, 190°C (170°C fan-assisted).
- Using three 20cm sandwich tins, line the base of each tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs by hand with a whisk or fork, add the baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Add the grated carrot, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar and coconut flour. Mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chopped pecans and raisins or sultanas to the mixture.
- Evenly divide the cake mixture between the three pre- lined cake tins.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Then remove from the oven to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the tin and leave to cool (you can make the cakes the day before. Place on separate plates and cover with foil until ready to decorate).
- In a dry frying pan, toast the desiccated coconut and pumpkin seeds over a medium heat until the coconut is toasted, then leave to cool.
- To make the cashew butter cream, in a food processor place the soaked cashew nuts, coconut oil, agave nectar, lemon juice, vanilla pod seeds and salt and blend until smooth for approximately 5-7 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, remove the parchment paper from each cake. Using either a cake plate or stand, place the one layer of cake on the base, then divide the cashew butter cream into three sections and layer the cashew butter cream between the layers and on top of the cake, leaving the sides exposed.
- Top the cake with the toasted desiccated coconut and pumpkin seeds.
- Keep the cake refrigerated; allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving