Grain Free Pecan Pie
This sticky sweet textured pie is a specialty of America’s South. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the quintessential classic pie holidays. It’s no wonder the rich and buttery pecan pie is one of the top five most popular holiday pies. Baking nut pies during the autumn and winter months when the nuts are literally falling from the trees makes perfect sense. Adding a scoop of ice cream to a deliciously warm pecan pie makes it all worthwhile.
For the pastry:
70g ground almonds
70g chestnut flour
85g The Groovy Food Company, organic coconut flour
140g The Groovy Food Company, organic virgin coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
For the filling:
3 large eggs, beaten
110g The Groovy Foord Company, organic virgin coconut oil
110 The Groovy Food Company, organic agave nectar, light amber & mild
200g The Groovy Food Company, organic coconut sugar
1 tsp. vanilla bean paste, or 1 vanilla pod deseeded.
100g pecan halves
For the garnish:
Ice cream (diary free optional) or home made banana ice cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted). You will need a non-stick 9inch loose bottom tart tin.
- Place all the flours in a mixing bowl together with sea salt and coconut oil using your hands form into a ball. Once the ball is formed, place into the base of your tart tin and smooth out on the base and up the sides so it’s even all around. Then refrigerate the pastry case for 30 minutes until hard.
- To roast the pecans, place in the oven for 10-12 minutes on a baking mat, stirring a few times so they don’t burn, until they are light brown and fragrant. Set aside and let them cool.
- In a medium sized saucepan melt the coconut oil, agave syrup and coconut sugar until smooth and soft. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Then ad the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir well.
- Remove the pasty case from the fridge, pour in the melted mixture and decorate with the pecan halves flat side down.
- Place into the pre-heated oven and back for 45-50 minutes. Check on the pie after 35 minutes as you may want to add a sheet of foil over the pie to prevent the crust and nuts from burning.
- The mixture will rise in the oven, but don’t be alarmed, once out of the oven it will return to its natural shape.
- Serve with dairy free cream or banana ice cream.