Grain Free Coconut & Cashew Scones
Nothing beats a traditional tea and this dairy free alternative is packed with great nutritional ingredients, served with sugar free jam and drizzle in tahini cream! These scones offer a gluten and grain free alternative to the much loved scone. They are high in protein and low GI so they will keep you fuller for longer and are perfect with either Tahini cream or coconut cream. If you wanted to make these savoury we would suggest replacing the raisins with sun-dried tomatoes.
2 Large Eggs, Beaten
2 tbsp. Tahini
2 tbsp. Almond Milk
2 tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic virgin coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic agave nectar, light amber & mild
2 tsp. Baking Powder
40g The Groovy Food Company organic coconut flour
85g Cashew Butter
70g Desiccated Coconut (Plus Extra 10g for Dusting, when Shaping)
3. tbsp. Tahini
1. tbsp. The Groovy Food Company organic agave nectar, light amber & mild
1 tbsp. Water
2 Pinches Sea Salt
Sugar Free Jam
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone-baking mat.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs; add the tahini, almond milk, coconut oil, agave nectar and baking powder and mix until smooth and baking powder has dissolved.
- Add the coconut flour, cashew butter and desiccated coconut, the mixture should be a thick consistency, to enable you to form a ball. Add the raisins into the mixture and then refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle your worktop with the extra, desiccated coconut. Shape the dough into a round ball with your hands and place it on surface with the desiccated coconut. Using your hands lightly flatten out the dough, take great care not to flatten the dough any thinner than 1 inch (2.5 cm) – this is the secret of well-risen scones, measure it if you're not sure.
- Use a 2 inch (5 cm) round cutter to cut out the scones – place the cutter on the dough and give it a sharp tap – don't twist it, just lift it up and push the dough out.
- Carry on until you are left with the trimmings, then bring these together and flatten out again until you can cut out the last scone.
- Place the scones on the prepared baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes, until they are golden brown, and then remove them to a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- To make the tahini cream in a bowl, add the tahini paste, agave nectar and water and stir until smooth. You might need a touch more water depending on the thickness of the tahini. Once you have the correct consistency you can add two pinches of salt.
- Serve with the scones with the tahini cream and sugar free jam.