Chocolate Coconut Doughnuts
Delicious and oh so simple, these coconut doughnut are a real treat!
150g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of Salt
120mls The Groovy Food Company Organic Creamed Coconut
175 g The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Sugar
1 large egg
3 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, melted if solid
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the icing:
230g icing sugar
2 tbp coconut milk
Sprinkles or chopped nuts, as desired
1. Heat oven to 164°C and grease the doughnut pan.
2. Set a sieve over a large bowl and add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift, and then fold together for even distribution.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk the creamed coconut, coconut sugar, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix with a whisk or wooden spoon until everything is blended. The batter will be thick.
4. Spoon batter into a piping bag (or into a large re-sealable plastic bag with the corner cut off) and pipe into the greased doughnut pan, making sure to not overfill. Alternatively, you can spoon the batter into the pan.
5. Bake for 13 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Cool the doughnuts in the pan for 3 minutes, and then carefully turn the doughnuts onto a rack to finish cooling.
6. Once the donuts are completely cooled, make the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the icing sugar and 2 tablespoons creamed coconut. If you’d like a thinner glaze, add more milk, and if too thin, add more icing sugar.
7. Place a rack over a baking sheet to catch any drippings. Once by one, dip the cooled doughnuts into the glaze and allow excess to drip back into the bowl. Place on the rack and top with sprinkles. Allow the doughnuts to sit for an hour or two to let the glaze dry before eating.