A hint of citrus flavours combined with coconut, make this a perfect treat with your afternoon cup of tea!
These are wonderful with a dark chocolate glaze, melt 90 grams of chopped dark chocolate in a small metal bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Watch carefully as dark chocolate can burn easily. Stir to melt. Remove from heat and with an offset spatula, spread a layer of dark chocolate on one side of the biscotti (or dip one end into the melted chocolate). Let the chocolate dry on a parchment-lined baking sheet or baking mat. If you are on a nut free diet, you can add 60g desiccated coconut instead of the almonds.
100g The Groovy Food Company Coconut Flour
113g The Groovy Food Company Coconut Sugar
¼ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
pinch sea salt
½ orange rind, grated
½ lemon rind, grated
2 large egg yolks
2 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
150ml The Groovy Food Company Coconut Oil, melted
60g blanched almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- Combine the coconut flour, coconut sugar, bicarbonate of soda, sea salt, orange and lemon rind into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the egg yolks into the flour mixture and then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Melt the coconut oil over a gentle heat and add the oil and the almonds to the biscotti mixture and mix together with your hands. Shape the dough on a baking mat into logs, rolling the dough back and forth into a 15cm cylinder shape with your hands. Don’t be afraid to apply pressure, making sure it’s a smooth consistency, not crumbly.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes and remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and let them cool for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 325°F, gas mark 3, 170°C (150°C fan-assisted).
- Using a long spatula, transfer the logs to a cutting board and serrated knife cut the logs into slices about ¾ inch (2cm) thick on the diagonal, arrange the slices on the baking mat and bake for about 10-15 minutes, turn the slices over and bake until crisp and dry, about another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.