Coconut Sticky Toffee Cake
Light and moist, perfect with your afternoon tea or as a hot pud. Almost like a sticky toffee pudding, this cake is delicious served warm with a scoop of banana ice-cream or homemade coconut caramel sauce to go over it.
This cake can be made in advance and the flavours improve over a period time. Keep covered outside the fridge, up to a week. This cake can also be made in a bundt tin.
125g The Groovy Food Company organic virgin coconut oil
200g The Groovy Food Company organic agave nectar, rich and dark
100g The Groovy Food Company organic coconut sugar
100g The Groovy Food Company organic coconut flour
4 medium eggs, beaten
2 tsp. baking powder, gluten free
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground mixed spice
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp. red wine
10g desiccated coconut, toasted
banana ice cream (using frozen bananas to make the ice cream) or dairy free cream of your choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted).
- Line an 8inch/20cm loose springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized saucepan add the coconut oil, agave and coconut sugar together with the 200ml of cold water and melt over a gentle heat then leave to cool on the side
- Dissolve the mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda with the red wine and mix together.
- In a mixing bowl add the coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger and mix it together so it’s all combined.
- Lightly beat the eggs by hand or with an electric whisk until they are light and fluffy and gradually pour in your cooled sugar mixture, then add the dissolved mixed spice and then spoon in the flour mixture, carry on gradually adding in the flour until all combined, do not over mix.
- If you are using a machine to whisk your cake mixture together, make sure you stop half way through to wipe down the sides of the bowl, ensuring everything is combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into your pre-lined cake tin, place in the pre-heated oven on the middle shelf and bake for 35 minutes.
- To check the cake is cooked, pierce the middle of the cake with a knife and check nothing sticks to it. Take it out of the oven and leave to cool in the cake tin for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, carefully release the sides of the baking tin and present on a plate taking off the baking paper. Garnish with the desiccated coconut.