Ginger, Pear and Turmeric Muffins
These delicious vegan muffins, are light and fluffy with chunks of fesh pear with each bite. Delicious at tea time or as a breakfast treat!
1 tbsp flax seeds
35g The Groovy Food Company creamed coconut
275g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
120ml The Groovy Food Company virgin coconut oil with turmeric, melted
175ml The Groovy Food Company agave nectar - rich and dark
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 pears, peeled, cored and cut into small dice
FOR THE PUMPKIN SPICE MIX
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
pinch ground cloves
1. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. First make the spice mix by combining all the spices in a small bowl.
3. Spoon the flax seeds into a blender. Add 3tbsp water and blitz until you have a paste, tip into a bowl and set aside. Rinse out the blender then add the creamed coconut and 150ml hot water, blend until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp the spice mix and a pinch of salt.
5. In a large bowl whisk together the turmeric coconut oil and agave nectar until combined. Then whisk in the flax mixture, coconut milk and grated ginger. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined, making sure you don’t over-mix, followed by all but a small handful of the diced pears.
6. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, filling them 2/3 full, and then gently press into the top of each muffin a few diced pears.
7. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool for 10 mins in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with a little pumpkin spice mix and enjoy!